Thursday 16 July 2015

Songs That Give Me The Feels: #2

Hello everyone!

Today I have another "Songs That Give Me The Feels" post! This is where I post a song recommendation, and say why it gives me the feels. Make sense? Good!

(If you missed my previous post in this series, you can read it here!)

I thought that my recommendation today would be from the Musical Theatre genre, as musicals were pretty much all I listened to growing up! Nowadays, I'm open to listening to anything and everything, but one genre that has stuck with me throughout the years has always been a good theatrical soundtrack!

Now, you're probably expecting to read some kind of story behind why I love this chosen song so much, but to be honest, there really isn't one. In future posts, there will be story upon story behind why my chosen songs mean a lot to me, but today's song has been chosen purely because of how stunning it is.

If there's something that you should know about me, it's that I am a major classical musical fan. Sure, I love all the new musicals out there such as Heathers The Musical, Ghost The Musical, even jukebox musicals like Rock of Ages! But there's just something about Rodgers & Hammerstein's work that just makes me feel all tingly inside. Carousel was actually the first musical that I ever performed in at age 5, playing the youngest of the Snow Children; since then, the work of Rodgers & Hammerstein have been an absolute favourite of mine.

Any child born in the 90's would have probably seen the VHS Movie version of Rodgers & Hammerstein's "Cinderella", starring Whitney Houston as the Fairy Godmother and Brandy as Cinderella. Growing up, this video tape was constantly on repeat in my house, as I loved the music, the costumes, the dance routines: all of it!

Still, to this day, I absolutely love it! But the most recent Broadway revival of the original R&H Cinderella in 2012 has taken over my love for the Brandy video version. First of all, Laura Osnes as Cinderella is literally one of the best casting choices to ever occur on Broadway! She was absolutely perfect in the role, and is literally a Disney Princess on her own. Also, Santino Fontana (who the majority of you will know is the voice of Prince Hans in Frozen!) has the voice of a God, and is wonderfully charming as Prince Topher, and together with Osnes, they are a dream.

Being the naughty musicals lover that I am, I was able to watch the entire show on YouTube a couple of years ago, and since then, the obsession has grown. Laura Osnes' series, "The Princess Diary" with Broadway.com's YouTube channel was the only thing I watched daily, as she took you behind the scenes with her and the hilarious cast of the Broadway revival. And I give many thanks to the lovely person who uploaded the entire soundtrack to YouTube, as I can now share with you the one song on the soundtrack that gives me all the feels.

As you've read above, I adore this show, so obviously I love every song on the soundtrack. However, the song "Loneliness of Evening", sung by Santino Fontana and Laura Osnes is by far my favourite. It's romantic, it's magical, the melody is just beautiful and it sounds as if it should of come straight off of a Disney soundtrack (and y'all know how much I love my Disney!). I'm also a massive fan of a big orchestra, which I believe is what the majority of new musicals are lacking. Hence why I adore R&H's work so much!


(If the video doesn't work, you can listen to this song and the rest of  the gorgeous soundtrack right here!)

And that's it! Hope you guys liked this post, and if you're a musicals fan, let me know what your favourite musical is down in the comments! And I will see you guys in my next post!

Fawce xoxo.



No comments:

Post a Comment