Tuesday 16 June 2015

Gossip Girls: Perception isn't Reality

Hey guys!

I've been wanting to make this post for a long time, but I wanted to do it at a time that was beneficial for my lovely audience, as my blog has grown over the last month to a point where I feel I can really chat with you guys about relevant stuff.

Now, I know what you're thinking, this isn't going to be a big old "bitch sesh", but today I do want to discuss something that I know a lot of you guys can relate to: dealing with gossip.




We've all done it. You hear something about someone, or see someone doing something and so on and so forth; you go to one of your best friends and talk to them about that certain someone. Sometimes, it doesn't even matter if you've actually ever spoken to that person you're gossiping about, but you feel you need to talk about them based on your perception of them.

This is what I want to talk about today. An old friend of mine always used to say the phrase: "Perception is reality!" and that however you are seen as from afar, that's exactly who you are. If you come across as sweet, then you're sweet. If you come across as catty, then you're catty. If you look like a bitch, then you're a bitch. Simple as.

However, I don't agree. In the past, I have been perceived as so many different things: from being a goody-goody, to being the biggest bitch on the planet. And yes, maybe to some people who have met me and got to know me, I probably seem like I am these things. But that doesn't mean I am only them. Maybe they think negatively towards me because our personalities clash? Maybe I said something or did something that they don't agree with? I will never know! And to be honest, I don't really care either. Because I know who I am, and I can be as many things as I like: that's the beauty of being human!

I admit to assuming someones personality based on their looks. We all do it. One of my best friends, when I first met her, I was incredibly jealous of her and had very ill feelings towards her. She was the most beautiful girl I had ever seen, and everyone liked her. But I didn't know her personality when I first met her, only what others had told me about her. Because she was beautiful, I already disliked her! Because I had been led to believe that if a woman knows she's beautiful, then she must be arrogant and selfish. Why did I think like that? I have no idea!

However, when I got to know her, realised that she had a great sense of humour, that we had a lot in common, that she was smart and could teach me things that I didn't already know, and that she was the loveliest, most warm-hearted girl I had met in a long time, I realised that me being jealous of her was uncalled for. I wasn't going to let my ill feelings of this girls beauty define her personality. Funnily enough, I happily talk to her about my original feelings towards her; and her response? "Oh, it happens all the time."

We're always told to not judge a book by it's cover, yet there are people preaching to the world that perception is reality; no one knows what's going on behind closed doors, and yes, no one needs to know either. What I don't understand is why people decide to gossip about people they don't know in the first place, and more importantly: why I do.

Like I said, I'll happily admit to gossiping about people I don't know, but I've learned in my lifetime to not spread negative things about the person. If I'm talking about them, that means I am genuinely interested in them and their lives, and I think that's something that everyone should remember.

If they're talking about you, that means you're interesting.

Personally, my extrovert personality can come across as quite boisterous, and occasionally obnoxious. Well, according to the rumour mill, anyway. To be honest, I've heard a lot of different things about my personality from different people who assume what I'm like just from what they've seen. Now, who remembers the TV show 8 Simple Rules? Well, in one episode, loving father Paul teaches his eldest daughter Bridget a lesson in assuming someones personality. And there's something that he says in that episode that really applies to this post, and that is: "You should never assume, because when you ASSUME, you make an ASS out of U and ME". Which I think is completely true. Just like when you're proven wrong about a subject you think you know all about; it's embarrassing. More importantly, if you can't say something nice about a person, then don't say anything at all.

Anyway, I wanted to address in this post that the gossip girls in your life are majority of the time either genuinely interested in you, or feel they need to vent their feelings towards you through the rumour mill. And to be honest, as much as it can be pathetic and complete nonsense, the majority of the time: what they're saying about your personality is all down to their perception. You know the phrase "they're wearing rose tinted glasses"? Well, it works both ways. The human race are so focused on their own opinions and what they think, because everyone on this earth is selfish in some way or another. And there's nothing wrong with that, we have to be selfish every once in a while to survive on this planet! People are positive, and people are negative. And if people thrive in the negative, then let them be, they'll discover soon enough that negativity gets you no where. And as long as you know that, then screw whoever doesn't. You don't need negativity in your life. Self belief is the most important trait someone can have, and although gossip can hinder your journey to believing in yourself, it will also make you stronger.

Remember: if they're talking about you, it means you are interesting.

(source)


That's all I'm going to say for today. Reading it back, it kind of looks like a big spew of thoughts has just been projected on to the screen! But I hope you guys can see where I'm coming from, and hopefully everyone will realise soon enough that gossiping gets you no where. (Don't make an ASS out of U and ME! Remember!)

See you guys in my next post!

Fawce xoxo.

No comments:

Post a Comment