Saturday 8 August 2015

Pushing Yourself

This week has been incredibly intense. Physically, mentally, even vocally; I am exhausted. When you commit yourself to something you enjoy, you naturally commit all of your energy and time, and devote yourself completely to whatever it is.




For those of you who don't know, I am currently in the middle of a professional workshop of the iconic, smash-hit musical CATS, and even though it is a youth production, it is being taught by professionals who will treat you like professionals. The term "youth production" probably makes you think of little kids, not really knowing what they're doing and simple unison singing/choreography. But this company is the complete opposite. We may be young, but this cast of felines are the most extremely talented group of people I've ever met, and they are putting their hearts and souls into this production, making it strongly united, and a supportive environment for everyone (and our harmonies are ON POINT!). The routines are jam-packed, high energy, and in no way simplified from what you would see on Broadway and the West End.

Bruises are covering my body all over, I've had to apply Voltarol gel to my aching muscles, and on the second day of rehearsals, I woke up with the most horrendous cold. I have returned home most evenings sweaty and light-headed, with extra pain in weird places of my body. And it's made me wonder if I am capable of doing this, or if I am pushing myself too far.

As I said before, when you commit to something you enjoy, you work hard to make sure that whatever it is is amazing! Be it a presentation, a project, or a production. Mentally, you feel that it gets to a point where you cannot absorb anymore information, and whatever you're learning or being told is going through one ear and out the other. Vocally, you want to express your passion for whatever it is by talking about it, singing your harmony lines louder than everyone else, or practicing how you will use your voice, but it starts to feel strained and weak. Physically, you are tired and feel drained, like once you sit down you can never get back up. But something that our director told us in rehearsals I think suits this post amazingly: "Don't stop when you are tired, stop when you are DONE".

That speaks volume to me a lot, because pushing yourself sometimes isn't the easiest thing to do. A lot of people always tell me to "take it easy", but the world won't let you take it easy when you want to achieve something. We need to think more about the bigger picture, what we shall accomplish by pushing ourselves rather than resting on our laurels. I'm not saying that you should overwork yourself, but when you're feeling complacent, or like you just want to give up, push yourself to get up, get out, and reach your goal. Of course, everyone knows their own minds and bodies, and if you feel you need a break, then take one! But once it's over, don't hunch your shoulders and let yourself feel tired and weary; be proud, be happy, push yourself that little extra further, and I promise, good things will come from it.

That's all I wanted to say for today, because I am exhausted and definitely need a break! But I will hopefully see you guys next week!

(Also, if you want to see what the company I'm performing with are all about, you can watch their show reel here! You can see me sing at 10 seconds in! And if you're in the area, come along and see CATS The Musical at The Stag Theatre, Sevenoaks next week!)

You can book tickets online here! And if you don't live nearby, feel free to tell friends who do live nearby!


Until next week!

Fawce xoxo.

1 comment:

  1. What a great experience but also tiring! I'm glad I read your post, I was feeling like taking a break from blogging but I think I'll try to keep it up!

    http://perlasancheza.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete