Sunday 16 August 2015

A Jellicle Cat!

Hey guys!

So as some of you know, these last two weeks I have been taking part in an amazing summer workshop of the iconic musical CATS! Yes, we managed to put together a show in just two weeks, which included learning 4 part harmonies, crazy dance routines, creating cat faces with face paint, and trying to act like a cat all at the same time!

Demeter, Cassandra and Bombalurina! (AKA Anna, Tori and yours truly!)


Now, I'm not going to lie to you, I don't know how we even pulled it off. Fans of the production will know that it is without a doubt one of the most intense, most involved show any company can put on. The original production was the first to show the world that "triple-threat" performers actually exist! And with my own father being one of the many performers who graced the stage in the original production in London 20 years ago; you can imagine the pressure.

If you've read my previous post, you would know that I have pushed myself to my limit these last two weeks, resulting in a major injury in my lower back (which occurred during our matinee performance during "The Jellicle Ball", meaning I had to sit out of the majority of Act 2!) But to be honest, as much as I am in agonising pain, it was totally worth it. I managed to perform the evening performance without missing a single beat, because, as my favourite saying goes: THE SHOW MUST GO ON. I didn't want to waste all of the hard work I had put into this production by letting my injury get the better of me. And it was incredible what a little Voltarol Gel, painkillers and Dr. Greasepaint will do!

(For those who don't know what "Dr Greasepaint" means, it means stage makeup. For example, combining stage makeup with adrenaline can get you through any performance!)

Our cast was strong and incredibly talented, and I am so proud of everyone involved. Comments after the show included awe and shock at how good we were, and one audience member assumed that we were the actual cast from the London production who were taking it on tour! How crazy is that?

Kitty Selfie!
I got to play the role of Bombalurina, the flirtatious, sexy cat who narrates a lot throughout the show. This means I got to sing the famous song Macavity! Which has always been a favourite of mine! And throughout the rehearsal period, I learnt a lot about my own performance skills. For example, I would never call myself "sexy" in any shape or form. A lot of people perceive me as quite innocent and naive, and to be honest, I would say they are right. But I guess that's the power of being an actress, to take on roles that push you out of your comfort zone and make you step up to the plate. And from the comments I got after the show from various audience members, I'd say I did an alright job.

Opening Night Selfie!
This theatre group as a whole is probably one of the best in the entire country, and I'd say they deserve more recognition for the top performances they put on. I've only taken part in 4 of their productions, but this company has been performing incredible shows since 2008, and if you ever see an advertisement for a show put on by Bullfrog Productions, I sincerely recommend you go and see it, because these young performers are going to take the world by storm.

Last Show Cast Picture!
And that's all I'm going to talk about today! Hope you guys liked this post! And I will see you next week for more regular updates!

Fawce xoxo.

No comments:

Post a Comment