Thursday 10 November 2016

Turning 22.

Birthday's can be a joyous occasion, especially between the ages of 3-21. With the presents, the gatherings, the cake; it's a day that we cannot wait to come! However, once you've hit the 21st Milestone, twenty-two can be a little bit of a let down. And why is that?




If you ask anyone over the age of 26, they would probably tell you that the ages between 21 and 25 are the ages they wish they could stay at forever. It's the age where you can get away with living freely, with little responsibility, but at the end of the day, you're still an adult. I turned 22 on Tuesday. Yes, the same day as the U.S. Election. And I don't feel any bit different.

Of course, I wouldn't. After all, it's only a number. Plus, as 22 isn't a big milestone, I wasn't particularly excited about it in the first place - meaning I had no expectations to begin with.

My birthday was...well...it was a birthday. My parents present to me this year came a week earlier, when I had returned home from another failed audition in London. Because I was so down from the audition, they handed me my present early: a brand spankin' new IPAD! It's fair to say I cried! Overwhelmed by their gift, I clung to that iPad like it was my lifeline, which, at the time, technically was my lifeline. If you've read my previous post, you'll know why I was so shocked to receive such an extravagant gift. My parents are awesome, and no one can tell me otherwise.

On the 8th of November, I woke up at 11am, came downstairs to find my mum in the kitchen. She greeted me with a cheerful "Happy Birthday!", and handed me not one, but TWO of my favourite box of chocolates! This is a tradition we have on my birthday that every year, I get given a box of Guylian Seashell Belgian Chocolates. (I can fairly say they were gone within 48 hours!) I also opened up a card and present from my sister, who had got me some lovely candles.

The day before my birthday, I had a coffee date with one of my best friends in Starbucks. Walking in, I let out a little squeal when I saw they had finally released their festive drinks! You guys know me; Christmas is my favourite time of the year! I ordered my Toffee Nut Latte, and we headed upstairs to have a good old catch up.

Now, I don't expect many presents for my birthday. I'm old enough now to realise that not everyone can afford to buy me gifts, and more than anything, it's the thought that counts! But this friend went above and beyond with gifts. This specific friend has recently got a job at The Body Shop, so if she were to get me a gift, I was kind of expecting either some fragrance or some soap. But no, because she knows me like crazy, she got me 4 different gifts. Yes, three of them were from The Body Shop, but I love their products, so I honestly don't care.

An eyeshadow palette that contained gorgeous colours, a fantastic charcoal face mask, a Vanilla Chai Christmas Candle that smells divine, and...wait for it...an iridescent Make-Up Bag that I am absolutely obsessed with! The girl did good!

Tomorrow I'm meeting with my bestie for lunch, where we exchange birthday presents! I'm so excited to finally give her her gifts! Her birthday was last month, but I'm finally able to give her what I've been planning to give her for months! Literally!

My birthday set up!
My actual birthday was very relaxing. I spent the entire day watching Gilmore Girls on Netflix, eating my birthday chocolates, snuggling my cat in bed, and then in the evening, we ordered my favourite takeaway (Indian!) and snuggled on the sofa. Any other 22 year old would have probably gone out for a night on the town, but unfortunately, none of my friends were available. Still, the beauty of going out for drinks is that they can happen whenever you want!

As another birthday passes, I'm feeling bittersweet. 2016 hasn't been the greatest year, but December will hopefully save the year. All I can hope for is that the lead up to my 23rd birthday will not include as much stress as my 22nd did. But still, I'm so incredibly grateful to be surrounded by wonderful friends, family, and cats.

Here's to another year!


No comments:

Post a Comment