Thursday 1 December 2016

My Top 10 Christmas Films!

December is upon us! And you know what that means...it's the MOST WONDERFUL TIME OF THE YEAR! A time to feel cosy, a time to give back and a time to feel a lot of love! And what is the festive season without some lovely Christmassy movies to help get you in the spirit?

As it's the 1st of December, I thought I would share my Top 10 Favourite Christmas films with you guys. On the 11th of December, I'm flying to Dubai with my family to do a fantastic production of Peter Pan over Christmas, so I want to watch one Christmas film a day until I fly. When thinking of which films I wanted to watch, I discovered that I had 10 favourites that I'd never realised were my favourites! So, without further a do, let's count down from 10!



(DISCLAIMER: This was really difficult to decide which order to put these films in, as all of them are equally fantastic! Also, there will be some Honourable Mentions before I tell you my number one, so please don't feel discouraged if your favourite isn't on my list!)



10 - Christmas With The Kranks


(source)
When I think of Christmas, I automatically think of Tim Allen. You'll see he recurs a lot on this list! Christmas With The Kranks is a film about the Krank family, who decide that because their only daughter isn't home for Christmas, Mr and Mrs Krank will go on a cruise and forget about Christmas all together! That is, until, their daughter surprises them with the news that she will in fact be home for Christmas! Of course, hilarity ensues! This film is usually on the television sporadically throughout the festive season, and whenever I see it's on, I have to watch it! It's absolutely hilarious, and is very much Home Alone meets A Christmas Carol! It's definitely a hidden gem, so give it a watch if you can. It will certainly surprise you!

9 - Ballet Shoes


(source)
OK, so this film isn't technically a Christmas film. However, to me, this film represents what Christmas is all about: family. This film follows three adopted sisters, as they each discover their passions and follow their dreams. I only discovered this film about 6 years ago, and my goodness, it's such a sweet film! Set in the 1940's, the Fossil sisters, Pauline (an ambitious actress), Petrova (a striving pilot) and Posy (an aspiring ballerina) work hard to earn money for their guardian through working on the stage! There is only one Christmas scene in this film, and it's incredibly short. But this film gives such a warm, cosy feeling, and if you haven't watched it, definitely give it a look!

8 - The Santa Clause 2


(source)
Usually, Christmas sequels are absolutely rubbish! Yet, The Santa Clause 2 is a fine exception! Continuing on from the first film, Scott Calvin discovers that to continue being Santa Claus, he must in fact find a Mrs Claus, otherwise he cannot continue being Santa! This film is absolutely hysterical! I first came across it at a charity Christmas film viewing at my Primary School, and as I love the first film so much, it was inevitable that I was going to love the sequel! (Although I like to pretend that The Santa Clause 3 doesn't exist, because that one isn't great...). This one is heartwarming and reminds you that romance isn't dead...especially at Christmas!

7 - White Christmas


(source)
As my only "pre-nineties" film on this list, White Christmas is most certainly a classic! Starring Bing Crosby, White Christmas follows a successful song-and-dance team as they meet a sister act, and team up to save the failing Vermont inn that is run by their former commanding general in the army! They put on a spectacular Christmas show for their guests, and throughout, slowly fall in love with the sisters. This film literally has everything! Fantastic songs, gorgeous dance numbers and a wonderful story-line that just makes you melt! I used to watch this film with my sister at my nan's house every Christmas, so this film has a lot of sentimental value for me. The song "Sisters" was our anthem! If you haven't seen it, please watch it! It's beautiful!

6 - Home Alone


(source)
It isn't Christmas without watching Kevin McAllister be a baddass! Now, I'd only watched this film quite recently. Maybe about 4 years ago, I stumbled upon this film one Sunday evening, and after hearing for years that it's everyone's favourite Christmas film, I decided to finally give it a watch. And boy, am I glad I did! It's hilarious! I don't need to say much more about this film, you probably already know how brilliant it is!

5 - Elf


(source)
Again, a classic. I'm sure you're thinking "Why is this not higher?!" Well, there's a good reason. As hilarious as this film is, when it first came out, I wasn't a big fan of it. However, over the years, it began to grow on me more and more and now, it's a staple in my house! It isn't Christmas without this film! Super quotable, hilarious story, and full of festive cheer! (I'm pretty certain it's one of my mums favourites as well!)

4 - Nativity!


(source)
Nativity is also a recent addition to this list. First watched on Christmas Eve back in 2011, I became hooked on Mr Madden's hilarious primary school students and the worlds worst (and best!) teaching assistant, Mr Poppy. This film just takes everyone back to their Primary School days, of rehearsing in a cold school hall for the yearly Nativity Play. Back in the day, I always wanted to play Mary. Unfortunately, I was always made an Angel or a Narrator. But if my Nativity's were anything like the one in this film, I wouldn't have cared what role I was! (Well, maybe a little...) This films brilliant! The song's are super catchy, the children are adorable, and the story is one that everyone can relate to.

3 - The Santa Clause


(source)
Tim Allen, you absolute legend! As I'm writing this post, I'm actually watching this film! The Santa Clause follows Scott Calvin, a stressed toy maker and his estranged son Charlie, as Scott becomes the new Santa Claus after the previous one falls off of his roof! Allen's sarcastic tone just makes this film for me! Each comeback makes me giggle like I did when I was 6! I'm pretty certain I still have the VHS Tape for this film under my bed somewhere. The story is incredibly sweet, as we see Scott and Charlie's relationship grow stronger thanks to the spirit of Christmas! Plus, does anyone else ever crave a hot chocolate when they watch this film? Curse you, Judy the Elf for making your special recipe sound so appealing!

2 - The Grinch


(source)
This film could very easily be Number 1 for me, however, there can only be one winner! The Grinch just IS Christmas to me! I could literally recite the entire script to you right now if you asked me! My sister and I constantly quote this film to each other, and Where Are You, Christmas? will forever be one of my favourite Christmas songs. I can't watch Jim Carrey play any other role without thinking of The Grinch! It's just fantastic!


Honourable Mentions

Before I tell you my number one Christmas film, let's take a look at some other Christmas films that almost made the top 10!

- The Holiday

The only reason this one isn't on my Top 10 is because I only saw this film for the first time last Christmas ON Christmas Day! And I hadn't actually seen the end of it until this year! I love this film, it's heartwarming, funny and just plain SWEET! 

- Frozen
(source)
Now, although not a Christmas film, this film reminds me of the festive season anyway. No, not because of the snow. But because I first saw this film at Christmas back in 2013 when I traveled to Dubai for the first time ever! This film has a lot of sentimental value to me. It reminds me of my sister, of my wonderful first trip to the UAE, and it reminds me of just being surrounded by so many phenomenal people. Plus, it's a Disney movie. That's enough reason on its own!


- Rise of The Guardians


(source)
Although this film features both Santa Claus and Jack Frost, this isn't actually a Christmas film either! This film actually takes place during Easter Time, and focuses on all of the other mystical childhood figures we love so dearly, such as the Tooth Fairy, the Sandman and the Easter Bunny. I could easily talk forever about how much I love this film, but overall, this film makes me feel young again. If you haven't seen this, please watch it. It's stunning.

- The Ultimate Christmas Present


(source)
Now, who remembers the days of good ol' DCOM's? The Ultimate Christmas Present stars a young Brenda Song, and it follows two young girls who discover Santa's faulty Snow Machine, and decide to create the first ever White Christmas in Los Angeles! Of course, it doesn't really go to plan! I absolutely love this movie! But I haven't watched it for a few years now, as they rarely show it on Disney Channel these days. If you remember this movie, PLEASE tell me in the comments! I wonder if they sell this on DVD on eBay?...

- Annabelle's Wish


(source)
Here's one that many of you have probably never seen before. Back when I was 4, I would watch this on VHS tape for hours on end at Christmas time! Annabelle's Wish follows a little calf named Annabelle who lives on a farm, and every year, she dreams of becoming one of Santa's reindeer. This film is absolutely adorable! I haven't watched it for many years, but I have many fond memories of lying in bed and watching this before going to sleep! The whole film is on YouTube if you fancy taking a look at it. It's too cute!


And finally, my number one Christmas film is...

1 - Love Actually


(source)
OK, so this was pretty obvious, wasn't it? What is there not to love about Love Actually?! Ever since I was about 10, I have watched this film about 5 times every Christmas time! There are so many wonderful actors in this film, and each storyline within the film cleverly connects to another in a way that, at the end, it's like each story is tied up like a pretty bow! Absolute classic, this one! (If you don't sing Christmas is All  Around, then is it even Christmas?!) There are so many memorable scenes in this film, one of which being Hugh Grant dancing to Jump! That'll never not be funny!

And that's it! I hope you guys liked this post! Please comment down below what your favourite Christmas films are! And I hope you all have a lovely December!



No comments:

Post a Comment