Wednesday 6 April 2016

Growing Up Overnight

For any normal 21 year old, a house all to yourself for two weeks probably seems like the most exciting thing to come about since they invented the wheel. I mean, what's not to love? The independence! The freedom! The ability to walk around the house in your underwear just because you want to! However, for me, these 2 weeks are going to be a wee bit difficult.

(source)


In various blog posts, you would have seen me gushing about how much love I have for my parents. We travel together around the world doing various show and spending pretty much everyday together. So much so, that they have quickly developed into my besties over the years! This time, however, I am not travelling with them. And I hate it.

Hate is a strong word, but to be fair, the reason why I'm not going with them was completely my decision, so I have no one to put the blame on. Whilst my parents are soaking up the sunshine in Bahrain, performing to thousands of people everyday...I'm stuck at home feeding the cats and doing housework. Don't get me wrong, I love my cats, and I do enjoy the odd bit of hoovering, but without my parents for two weeks, I am feeling extremely vulnerable.

This is horribly embarrassing to admit, but up until last week, I didn't know how to use our washing machine, our dishwasher, or how to cook basic meals for myself. (That last one is still a work in progress.)

Living with your parents certainly has its pro's and con's; many teenagers move out of their parents house the minute they can afford it just to get away and be independent. Even my sister moved out at age 21 about three years ago! Despite being quite an independent person socially, living with my parents is something that I absolutely love! They're my closest friends, my protectors and they are constantly looking out for me. And as someone who hates being on their own for too long, I am at a loss.

Deciding not to go to Bahrain was extremely difficult. In a few weeks, I will be playing the role of Carrie Pipperidge in Carousel, and these next few weeks are crucial for attendance at rehearsals...annoyingly, I'm still not off book. When the Bahrain job came up, I had to decide whether to drop out of Carousel, or stay at home and attend rehearsals. I had been committed to Carousel since January, and the role of Carrie is probably one of my favourite roles to date (plus, Carousel is one of my all time favourite musicals!). So, in the end, I decided to honour my commitment to the show and stay at home. But not before learning how to use all of our household appliances.

A Carou-selfie!
The principle cast at the seafront in Brighton for our promo shoot!
I'm at the back on the right! Ha!
May I just state how amazing my mother is. Seriously. She never forced my sister or I to do our own washing, cleaning, anything! (Other than our own room of course!). I know all of you reading are probably thinking what a complete spoiled brat I must seem, but when I'm abroad, I'd always do my own washing, but at home, my mum would always do it for me! Being 21 years old, and having to ask my mum how to use the washing machine was probably one of the lowest points of my life. But hey! I know how to do it now! Meaning when they get home, they'll come home to a spotless house, and while they're sleeping off their jet lag, I can do their washing for them.

You're all rolling your eyes right now, aren't you? I can feel it.

Regardless of my lack of chores growing up, I feel almost empowered by having to take care of everything myself. One issue I do have is the fact that I don't know how to drive, so I will be taking the bus and walking to most places whilst my parents are away. Which isn't technically a bad thing, walking's good for me! Plus my older sister will be staying with me most nights, so I won't be totally alone for the duration. The main thing is that I keep myself busy.

Cooking is another issue. Here's a fun fact about me: my oven and gas cooker freaks me out. I'm constantly terrified that I'm going to either blow the house up, or burn the house down. Stupidly, I assumed I would be able to just survive on soup and microwave ready meals...that I can't do. Being an adult is hard sometimes. Facing my fear of the dreaded gas cooker is something that will probably change my life. I feel like Kevin in Home Alone when he's afraid of the furnace.

You know what, if Kevin can survive home alone for all that time, I certainly can.

I'm doing this for you, Kevin!

Anyway, so that explains the title of this post! I have literally had to grow up overnight, and I'm still uncertain as to how I feel about it. Overall, I believe this experience will be good for me! Besides, thanks to Skype, I can chat to my parents whenever I need to, and they will be returning from Bahrain with lots of goodies from Bath & Body Works!

It's the little things.

The beautiful view of Bahrain from the hotel rooftop...I'm going to miss it.


Fawce xoxo.

No comments:

Post a Comment