Tuesday 8 September 2015

Songs That Give Me The Feels: #3

Hey guys!

Welcome to another installment of Songs That Give Me The Feels! Today, we're going to rewind to 2009, when I was experiencing my "emo" phase. Yes. This is going to be really embarrassing.

If you read my post called "Photographer Extraordinaire", you will know that when I was around 14 years old, I went through my "random, emo" phase; the time when I was obsessed with The Twilight Saga, indie music, and thought I was some deep, meaningful creator of exquisite photographs. Really, I was just experimenting with what I wanted in life, which is totally allowed, even if it would make me cringe later on in life. Everyone goes through that awkward year of changing who you are to see if that certain personality fits you better than your old one. Thankfully, this one only lasted a couple of years for me. But it resulted in endless torture from my friends and family who remind me of those dark times regularly.

14 Year Old me...such a rocker.
Just so you all know, I am full on cringing writing this post for you all! I give you full permission to judge me! Haha!


Let's first discuss what started off this phase. All of my friends at school were all fans of a certain book series, that I had no interest in reading. Once the film came out, they all went to see it together, but I decided to sit out, as it really didn't seem to be something that I would like. Finally, when the DVD came out, my best friend gave me her copy to watch and see what I thought of it. That's right, the film was Twilight.

The day I watched it for the first time was the same day that I had two teeth taken out due to getting braces, and I was in absolute agony. My face was numb, I was dribbling, I felt nauseous and was high on lots of anesthesia: it was really quite a sight to see. To make me feel better, my mum put on the Twilight DVD for us to watch. Unsurprisingly, I thought it was the best film I had ever seen.

I won't go into too much detail about how the obsession grew, let's just say that I read the series about 6 times in a row, appointed my friends and I certain characters to represent (I was Rosalie, obvs...), and even went to see New Moon in the cinema dressed as the characters. It's incredibly embarrassing to reveal, but it's too funny not to share with you all!

Dressed as the characters to see New Moon!
(L-R) Ashlee as Esme, yours truly as Rosalie, and Lucy as Alice.
But the one thing that I loved probably more than the film and the books, was the soundtrack. I fell in love with the soundtrack instantly, and would listen to it on repeat when reading the series. My best friend at the time gave me a copy of the soundtrack on a CD, and I probably listened to it on repeat for a year straight! I'm not even exaggerating! Out of all the songs, my favourite was one that lots of you will think is not so "emo", but to me, it signifies the time of my life when I was convinced that I was a member of the Cullen Clan.

Supermassive Black Hole, by Muse.



This song in particular was such a headbanger, I would listen to it constantly! When I would walk into town, before going on stage; this song was the one song that would get me pumped to do anything! And it introduced me to the wonderful band that is Muse!

I cannot fathom to you all how embarrassed I am by this stage in my life, and I'm taking this opportunity to apologise to my friends and family for forcing my love of this series on you all! Nowadays, I keep the book series in the loft and, to be honest, I haven't watched any of the films in about 2 years! But whenever I hear this song, I get a sudden thrill of being 14 again, not having a care in the world, and feeling like an immortal creature who believes in true love. (By the way, I was totally Team Edward!)

Thankfully, this cardboard cutout was SOMEONE ELSES! Not mine! We gave him as a present to a friend who was even more obsessed with him than I was...and that's saying something.
And that's it! Hope you guys liked this post! If you were a fan of the Twilight Saga, leave a comment down below! And I will see you guys in my next post!

Fawce xoxo.

No comments:

Post a Comment