Sunday 10 January 2016

Sunny Sunday || Carrie On

Hello all! Happy Sunday!



I decided to post another Sunny Sunday today, because I haven't done one in a while, and this week has been especially positive. So, here we go! Here are my 5 top moments from this week!



1. So, while I was away in Dubai, my local theatre group had auditions for their next production, which is one of my all time favourite musicals: Carousel. Because I was away, the audition panel let me send in a video audition. Out of the three possible parts that I could play, I decided to only audition for the lead role of Julie, as I didn't have much time to film all of the possible audition songs. Quickly, after an all day Cinderella rehearsal, I popped into the wardrobe room with my mum and her iPad, and I sang through Julie's verse of the song If I Loved You.

After sending off the video, I got an email from the director (who also happens to be my uncle!) saying that he had received the videos, and would like to see me for a recall when I got back to the UK. I was so excited! Luckily, the recalls for both the lead roles of Julie and Carrie happened to be this Tuesday. Fearing the worst, I headed into the recall completely unprepared! With 3 other girls there also recalled for the same parts, all of which got to show the audition panel a lot more on the actual audition day, when I only sent in one measly video; I was shaking like a leaf!

Without a doubt, it was one of the most intense auditions I had ever done. First of all, they made me sing the Julie audition song twice through, giving me notes on how to improve. Thinking that was all they wanted, I prepared myself for disappointment. However, the director turned around to me and asked if I could sing through Carrie's audition songs; both of which I didn't know at all! Luckily, the MD gave me the score, and guided me through, which I was incredibly thankful for! Afterwards, they made me do both Julie and Carrie's dialogue pieces. I was in that room for about 45 minutes! Finally, after pretty much getting everything they could out of me, the audition panel told me to wait outside and not to disappear just yet. That's a good thing, by the way!

While the other girls went in to audition, I sat outside with others and told them in detail what had happened in the room! Once all of us had finished, they told two girls that they could leave, and for myself and my lovely friend Ellie to stay. Ellie and I had previously performed together in another Rogers and Hammerstein show as Laurey and Ado Annie in Oklahoma two years ago, so we began to joke that maybe it'll be the same for this show too!

Ellie and I in Oklahoma, November 2013.
They called Ellie in to read with the last standing Billy (who actually played opposite Ellie in Oklahoma!), while I sat outside and waited. When he emerged from the room, they asked me to enter again. The audition panel asked if we would read together, with myself as Carrie and Ellie as Julie; Ellie and I exchanged some looks...maybe it would be the same set up after all?

Once we had pretty much done all of the dialogue we could possibly do, they told us that we were free to leave, but not before the director asked me if I was heading off to the Middle East any time soon (to which I answered no, of course!). We headed to the pub for a drink afterwards, and chatted for hours about how funny and intense the entire evening was!

Fast forward a couple of days later, when I get a call from my sister (who auditioned to be a dancer in the show!). I picked up, to hear her address me as "Carrie". To which I screamed! I had got the part of Carrie! After technically only one audition! Facebook was flooded with congrats messages, and my phone was buzzing like mad with texts from other cast members exclaiming their excitement.

Now, here's something you should know. Carousel was actually the first ever musical I performed in. I played the part of the youngest of the Snow Children, now, 16 years later, I'm playing the mother of those Snow Children! That's a full circle for you!

My sister (right) and I (left) in Carousel back in 2000! I was only 5!
I cannot be more excited! And I will keep you guys updated throughout the rehearsal process!

2. On Wednesday, I got to have coffee and a catch up with my bestie, Amy! You may have read about her before on pretty much all of my Sunny Sunday posts, because she is literally my sunshine! (Hello, Amy!) Unfortunately, I hadn't seen her since October, due to our extremely busy schedules, but it was so wonderful to see her again after so long! Plus, we got to exchange presents for Christmas! (And my birthday, to which she got me the cutest presents ever!). God, how I've missed her!

3. On Thursday evening (after finding out I had got the part of Carrie in Carousel!) I headed to a rehearsal. Now, you may remember a post on my blog called A Jellicle Cat, where I wrote all about a fabulous production of Cats I did over the summer. Well, due to it being such a success, we are doing a repeat performance of it at a different venue in February! So this rehearsal was a refresher of the show we did back in August! Thankfully, I remembered pretty much everything, but the best part about it was being reunited with all of my kitty cats! Summer was a long time ago! So it was great to catch up with them all.

So excited to be a Cat again!

4. Since being back at home, I had decided to treat myself to a few bits and pieces. Nothing too extreme, after all, the life of a performer doesn't always include a stable income! But when strolling through Topshop, I had discovered a pair of beautiful boots that I have wanted for absolutely ages! They're nothing fancy, but when I say I've wanted them for ages, I'm not kidding! For about a year, probably, I've needed these babies. When they're the last pair in your size too, you can't really say no! Practically skipping out of Topshop, I have never felt happier with a purchase!

Look how pretty!
(Screenshot from Topshops Website)

5. For the longest time, I have considered joining a Princess Party company of some sort, after all, I work religiously as a princess when I'm abroad; I should at least take advantage of that fact! However, I've never had the chance to. But luckily, a friend of mine who has a little girl mentioned my name to another lovely mummy at a playgroup. She needed a Cinderella to attend her little girls birthday party in February! I got in contact with the mum, and she said that all she needs is a Cinders to appear at the party, and her daughter would be the happiest little girl in the world! So, I have booked in a little appearance! This may not sound like a huge deal, but this could be the start of a new job venture, and I can only hope that I impress enough for other mummies to book me in for their little ones parties as well!

Cinders giving one of our little dancers a goodbye hug at the end of our panto run in Dubai!
(Don't worry, I'll have a better costume and hairdo for the actual party! Haha!)

And that's it! Sorry that it's such a long post, I do ramble on quite a lot about the auditions, but hey, I'm excited! Ha!

I hope you all had a lovely week, and I will see you in my next post!

Fawce xoxo.

No comments:

Post a Comment