Monday 2 December 2013

Fawce Stars in a Show!

Hello my beauties!

This past month has been rather hectic, but there is one thing that has made this month stand out for me. And it was a certain production that I was part of that, quite frankly, has changed me.

How deep.

Enjoy!
So, all of last week, I played the role of Ado Annie in the famously wonderful Rodgers and Hammerstein musical OKLAHOMA! If you yourself are familiar with the show, you will know how classic it is; with wonderfully written music, hilarious comedy couples (which I was a part of!) and tunes everyone (even if you aren't a musical fan!) recognises, such as Oh What A Beautiful Mornin', Surrey With A Fringe On Top, I Cain't Say No and so on. And I can honestly say it was a life changing experience.  As cheesy as it sounds, it really was such a fabulous week! Rehearsals were very stressful, but the company and production team were always so lovely and supportive, that when it was time to perform the show to an audience, it felt like a family coming together, doing something they love. For those of you who aren't familiar with who Ado Annie is, and what role she plays in the show, I'll give you a little insight. Through pictures of the production. This is Ado Annie:

"Then I kinda rounded up a little, and now the boys act different tuh me!"
 She's a bubbly, young farm girl who has, in the past year, discovered that men are now acting differently to her since she "rounded up". And she just "Cain't Say No" to any man who talks "purty" to her.

Which she tries to explain to her good friend Laurey Williams, who pretends she knows nothing about falling in love.


"Don'tcha feel kinda sorry fer a fella when he looks like he wants to kiss ya?" 

She then tells Laurey that while her childhood sweetheart, Will Parker, has been away in Kansas City, she's been spending her time with this Persian peddler named Ali Hakim, who she believes wants to marry her...

...But he doesn't.


"Mrs. Ali Hakim...the peddlers bride! EEEK!"

Then, just as she believes she's about to marry Ali Hakim, GUESS WHO COMES BACK FROM KANSAS CITY?

WILL PARKER!


"But...Will?!"

Whose intention is to pay Ado Annie's father $50 so that he can marry her...which he won in Kansas City. Meaning Ado Annie is now engaged to Will!

BUT! Will spent the $50 on presents for Ado, meaning that he can't marry her.

Confused yet?

Basically, a lot more hilarity occurs for the love triangle, making them the comedy trio of the show. I won't give too much more away, but in Act 2, things are resolved. And a lot more happens such as an auction for picnic hampers to raise money to build a new schoolhouse:



"6 bits ain't enough for a lunch like Ado Annie can make!"

A lot of Persian goodbye kisses from Ali Hakim:


"One goodbye...is never enough!"

And a wedding for Laurey and her partner, Curly (in which Ado and Will attend together):


"Oklahoma!"


And, basically, Will and Ado Annie end up together. YAY! (After having an argument through song about staying faithful to each other...typical!)


"With me...it's all er nuthin'!"


So, that was the short version of Ado Annie's story in Oklahoma!

The show had fantastic audiences for all 7 performances, and was a sell out on our final performance on Saturday night! The cast lost their voices, the dancers got injured and there was the occasional cock up of a line every now and then, but overall, it was an enjoyable week!

The amount of support I had from friends and family was immense! As this role had a special place in my heart, as Oklahoma was the first musical I studied in Year 12 for my Musical Theatre course, and I Cain't Say No was the first song I had sung with my class! Which ended up with me having 3 of the best friends a girl could ask for! (Who all came back from university to see the show, by the way!). In the end, I had a lot of lovely cards, 5 bunches of flowers, a lot of chocolate and several bottles of wine, which I was incredibly grateful for.

Bunches of flowers from various friends and family!
Not only was I in the show, but my sister was also in the show as a dancer! She played the role of Dream Laurey in the famous Dream Ballet of Oklahoma, which had her dancing continuously for 15 minutes with various men throwing her around a lot.


My gorgeous sister, Laurel, playing the role of Dream Laurey.
Since she played this role, it meant that both of us were in the front row of the finale (which has never happened before!!)


Laurel and I backstage before Opening Night!
The Finale Line Up!
The post show blues are still hanging around, but I am so incredibly thankful to the Tunbridge Wells Operatic and Dramatic Society (TWODS) for the opportunity to play such a fun role!

Now that Oklahoma is over, I am now ready and focused on my next big project, which is to play SNOW WHITE in Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs at the Ductac Theatre in Dubai! Which I am so incredibly excited about! I leave on the 12th of December, and come back on the 3rd of January! Meaning Christmas and New Year for me in a hot country! Which is something new! And my family will be with me also, as my mum is playing the Wicked Queen, and my dad is playing Jason the Woodcutter!

Hopefully, when I'm back, I'll be able to do a whole blog post on my trip, and will be able to do a lot more hauls and favourites!

Have a wonderful Christmas everyone, and I wish you all a very happy new year!

Fawce xoxo

No comments:

Post a Comment